The cosmetic resource out of my hair, and v5.63 uploaded, I've decided to revisit an old idea, somewhat inspired by Herculine's scouters.
The original form of my 'tracking system' was to be an inventory item, that displayed a menu of your installed companions. Clicking one's name would either enable or disable the tracking quest, depending on whether it was already enabled or disabled.
The thing never worked right. The menu refused to appear on command, and took two or three commands to close completely. It was a pain. I defaulted to the terminal interface, since it relied on normal game systems that the devs had put the time into making work half assedly well.
After that whole 20thCW selectors thing, I got a lot better at writing menus, and have been tossing around revisiting my old ideas; but I didn't want to delay an existing project to do it.
My plate is fairly clean at the moment, so now seemed the time, before I get bogged down in bug-testing whatever people manage to break next.
Wrote out the mod additions, tested in game, and of course it still doesn't work. The menu works correctly now, but the scripting attached to the buttons refuses to fire.
The real pisser of it is I can't figure out why. The scripting looks correct to me. The GECK doesn't kick anything back, Cipcis' "script validator" tells me everything is fine.
Nonetheless, you click an option and the menu simply closes. It does not actually execute the code. I've tried a half dozen permutations, three different block types...
...and I'm forced to wonder once again whether Bethsoft's software engineers are just massively incompetent, or if they fucking hate modders.
Truth be told, I may well scrap the whole mess if I can't get it working as I want. I don't really like teleporters on their own.
As usual, I'm not out of ideas yet, though. I had been hoping to keep it relatively simple... but then again, these things will never be the plug 'n play type for do-it-yourselfers that can't be bothered to learn to script.